Friday 11 January 2019

Bee Informed

The word 'bumblebee' is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word 'bumble' means to hum, buzz or drone.

Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of 54 kilometres per hour (km/hr).

Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to 90 percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.

Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact they can do up to 50 times as much work as a normal honeybee.

The number of bumblebees in New Zealand is declining due to a number of factors, including the removal of wildflowers and flowering trees, habitat loss and extensive use of pesticides.


animal-wildlife.blogspot.com





1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrew!

    Awesome job with these facts!
    It was so interesting to read this information on the bumblebee - man they are hard workers!!

    Did any of these facts take you by surprise?
    I think I was really shocked at how fast they could go!
    I used to own a scooter that could go about the same speed (54km/h) and it was working so hard to get to that speed... I also felt like I was going pretty fast! :) I think it is amazing that a bumblebee can do the same!

    I was also surprised that they could carry 90% of their body weight in food!
    I think I could only lift maybe 50% of my body weigh and even that is tiring!
    I think if I had to carry around all of my food for the day I would be sticking to light things like rice crackers and popcorn. :)

    Nga mihi,
    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.