Thursday 17 January 2019

Predator Free 2050 - A Call to Arms

I liked the first Predator Free video - Cacophony Project

It is about a man (Grant Ryan) who is developing software that first calls predators to it (I think by using mating calls) and then has a recognition camera.
The aim is to then be able to track that animal and shoot it with a poisoned dart.

I like this because it is specifically targeting predators rather than poisoning heaps of the country (like with 1080) and because it will be much faster having the animals come to it rather than hunters having to be out finding the animals.

The aim is to have a predator free New Zealand by 2050 but Grant Ryan thinks with this technology we could have a predator free New Zealand by 2040 or even earlier.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew,
    I am Vitaraag. I also agree when you said not hunting them waiting for them. I think it is more stealth than obvious. Do you think it will be predator free by 2050. I think it will. Maybe next time you can say if you think it will be predator free by 2050. Keep up the amazing work!

    Vitaraag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vitaraag

    I hope we are predator free by 2050 but I'm not sure if will be possible - this new software being developed makes it seem much more possible though!
    It's so silly that we have native animals we want to keep alive that are dying out and we have pests that we are struggling to get rid of - it should be the other way around!

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew!

    Thanks for sharing what you learnt from this video!
    I thought this one was really interesting - so cool to see the process he has been working through with the technology! I also thought it was pretty awesome that he has been testing everything in his own backyard this whole time! :)

    I like that you have thought about what this could mean for becoming predator free: easier for hunters and no longer a need for 1080 (woohooo!) :)
    I think these are really great thoughts Andrew and it makes me really excited about the development of this technology!
    Do you think you would find something like this handy to have on your property? Do you get a lot of predators in your area causing havoc?
    Maybe you will be able to develop something like this for your family! :)

    Great job Andrew, I enjoyed reading what you have written about Grant Ryan and his exciting technology!

    Nga mihi,
    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.