Friday 21 December 2018

Living on the Edge

Dear Mum

The trip her to the Tundra was boring and long but we finally got here at 1am on Wednesday morning.

It is very cold even though I am wearing 6 layers of clothes, luckily we came in summer!

It was strange seeing wildflowers growing since it's so cold but we went for a walk this morning and saw some! The teacher said we weren't allowed to pick them though.

Yesterday I saw an arctic fox and there was a polar bear destroying the neighbouring village!

It is hard to sleep at night because there is sun all day and night but eventually I fall asleep.

2 days ago I tried digging a hole to see how far down I could get but after I got only a little way the ground was frozen.

Hopefully tomorrow we are going to see a reindeer (they call them caribou here).

I'm looking forward to coming home and feeling warm again.

From Andrew


2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew!

    This is a really cool letter to your Mum, I am sure she would be stoked that you picked her to write to for this activity - Did you show her?

    Sounds like you might have had a rough journey to the tundra - How did you get there?

    Yeesh! 6 layers and still cold... I don't know if I would survive that kind of cold - I am more of a summer girl myself! What do you prefer Anderw?

    That's crazy that you saw an artic fox and a polar bear destroying a village! I think polar bears would be very scary to see in real life... One of those animals that looks so cuddly but is really very ferocious!
    I think seeing reindeer would also be pretty cool - Do you have an animal that was the best to see?

    I would find it really hard to sleep with sunlight all the time - Where did you sleep while you were there? In a cabin?

    This is a really great letter Andrew, it's succinct but informative!

    Keep up the awesome work!
    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellee

    I got to the Tundra by boat, I prefer Winter because I don't like having to wear a sunhat but I think I would like summer better in a different country maybe.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.