Monday 17 December 2018

The legend of New Zealand

My top 3 fun facts about New Zealand are:

1.  Gisborne is the first city in the world to see the sunrise because it is 496.3 kilometers away from the International Date Line.

2.  New Zealand was once governed as part of the territory of New South Wales and later a part of Australia.

3.  It is one of the three countries in the world that has two official national anthems of equal standing.  The first is God Save the Queen and the other is God Defend New Zealand.

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Andrew,

    My name is Hazel, and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey team this year. I'm so glad that you've decided to join us!

    I enjoyed reading your three facts about New Zealand. I found the fact about the national anthems especially interesting. What are the other two countries that have two official national anthems? Which of our two anthems do you think is better?

    I hope that you continue blogging with us this summer, and I look forward to reading more of your posts over the next few weeks.

    Cheers,

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another country that has 2 national anthems is Denmark, I can't find the other one.

    Also the tourism NZ website is wrong, number 8 says there are only 2 official languages (English and Maori) but there are 3! NZ sign language is also an official language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't know that about Denmark!

    That is a very good point about the official languages. I think we are pretty special to have three official languages. I started learning sign language last year. Have you ever learned another language?

    Keep up the great work!

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Andrew,
    I am Vitaraag. I did not know that we had two national anthems. Did you know that? Do you think New Zealand should still be part of Australia? Maybe next time you could say where you found the information. Keep up the amazing work.

    Vitaraag

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.