Monday 13 January 2020

SLJ - A Long Walk to Freedom

19/7/1975

I'm so sick of this place, today I worked out that I have been in here for two years! Today I worked in the quarry as usual, smashing rocks into gravel, I slipped and hurt my back today, its so bad I have been crawling around my cell to get from bed to the hall to get one of the two meals we get each day, it may taste disgusting but at least it is food. I didn't make it in time so now I will have to wait until tomorrow to eat.
Studying has helped take my mind off the constant pain a little, the law is very interesting and sometimes I close my eyes and imagine an alternate reality where I walk out of this place and use what I've learned to help my country.

2 comments:


  1. Mōrena Andrew,

    It’s Leisha here from the Summer Learning Journey.

    I have really enjoyed reading you journal entry from Mr Mandela’s perspective. I can tell you have put a lot of thought into how he must have been feeling and what things he could have been doing. I like that you have talked about how he used studying to pass the time and that it takes his mind off the pain he has. It is great that you have thought to include a date at the top of your journal entry too. Ka pai!

    I am interested to know if you enjoyed this activity? I think this activity is a great opportunity for us to put ourselves in someone else's shoes and consider things from their perspective.

    A fantastic post Andrew. Remember to make your posts more eye-catching, you can use images and colour. You might like to give it ago next time! :)

    Leisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leisha,

    Yes I did enjoy this activity because it was a chance to write about something in someone else's shoes. It took a while to figure out the right date and things.

    Next time I will try to make my posts more eye catching.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.