Thursday 17 January 2019

The Power of Ten

If I had the power to save any 10 species of animal or plant from extinction I would choose:

1. White tigers - They are beautiful and they are endangered. We shouldn't let them become extinct.

2. Foxes - I like reading about foxes in England and I think fox hunting sounds exciting though I don't want them to disappear forever. I think they are clever, cunning and handsome.

3. Horses - Horses are my favourite animal, I definitely wouldn't want them to become extinct. They are great friends, fun to ride and drive and in some places are also used for food.

4. Tasmanian Devil - The Tasmanian Devil is endangered and I think it would be sad if it became extinct - I think they are funny.

5. Kangaroo - I think Kangaroo's look cool and I like how they carry their Joey's in their pouch.

6. Sloths - I think they look cool and my Aunt who is an actress sometimes pretends to be Sid the Sloth which I think is really funny.

7. Black Footed Ferret - They were declared extinct in 1979 and then a dog brought one home, they were then declared extinct in the wild in 1987 however a captive breeding program managed to release them back in to the wild and there are now over 1,000 adults in the wild.

8. Dala Fur Sheep - These sheep originate from Sweden and I like Vikings and How to train your dragon so I would like to keep this old sheep breed.

9. The Red Wolf - I would like to save the Red Wolf because the US Endangered Species Act of 1973 does not provide protection for them because they are admixed (mix between grey wolf and coyote).

10. Pinta Island Tortoise - The last known Pinta Island Tortoise (Lonesome George) died in 2012 but there has been at least one first generation hybrid individual found - I'd like to be able raise their population because they are SO rare.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew,
    What a great list filled with such amazing animals! I like how you've included your own opinionated reason why on each one. Ka Pai!

    I really think your list should be known by people from all around the world. My personal favourite is the Kangaroo from your list, I think that they are cute with their little joey in their pouch. I also think you have made a good decision about the red wolf, because I've never seen one before.

    What is your favourite animal?

    Happy Blogging
    Gargee HPS
    hpsgargeej.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gargee

    Thank you for your comment my favourite animal is a horse.
    What is yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Andrew!

    This is a magnificent list of animals! You have included some of my favourite animals. I too like reading about foxes! And love white tigers!
    Losing one species is tragic because those species that eat them and are eaten by them are also affected. Each animal has a special place in our ecosystem!
    I can tell that you've put a lot of thought into your reasoning for your chosen animals!


    Keep up the great work!
    He Whetu Koe! (You’re a star!)
    Hasiba

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.