Monday 24 December 2018

The Midnight Zone

The Giant Squid weighs 500kg.
An average adult can lift 25kg
An average child can lift 15kg
How many people does it take to lift the squid?

25 goes into 100 4 times.
The squid weights 5 100's
So 4 X 5 = 20
It will take 20 adults to lift the 500kg giant squid exactly.

15 goes into 100 6 times with 10 remainder
6 X 3 = 18 with 30 left over which is 2 more kids
So 20 kids to lift 300kg
So you have to make up 200kg which the kids can't do perfectly so I made it up with adults
25 goes into 100 4 times
There are 2 100's in 200
4 X 2 = 8
20 kids and 8 adults can lift the 500kg squid exactly.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew!

    My name is Ellee, I am another commentor for the Summer Learning Journey team... I think that I might have commented on your posts last year for the Summer Learning Journey maybe?
    I hope you have had an awesome Christmas and Happy New Year!

    I like that you have given two possible answers to the problem! Awesome work... did you learn that strategy this year in school? It's very clever!
    I have seen the giant squid in Te Papa and I think that amount of people sounds about right...It's pretty huge! Would you want to help move it if you could? (I think it would feel so gross!)


    Keep up the awesome work Andrew,

    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I remember you from last year - hello!

    No, I did not learn this strategy this year, I usually know the answer and then have to go back and show how I worked it out - I did some year nine work last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrew!

    Good memory! :) How was your year at school? Good?
    Oh I see, that's one way to do it working backwards!
    Oh man year 9 work! What were you learning about? ...I'm not sure if I would be able to remember what I learnt in Year 9 now!!

    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I had a good year at school, I did some algebra and common factors and problem solving.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.