Sunday 23 December 2018

Stranger Than Fiction

Venus Flytrap and Hydnellum Peckii are similar because they both:

  • They can both be found in America
  • They both secrete smells (Venus Flytrap a sweet nectar to attract its prey)
  • Venus Flytrap looks like its got teeth and Hydnellum Peckii is nicknamed 'Devil's Tooth'


They are different because:

  • The Venus Flytrap is a plant and the Hydnellum Peckii is a fungi 
  • The Venus Flytrap eats things (flies and insects) and Hydnellum Peckii is edible
  • Venus Flytrap doesn't smell bad to us but Hydnellum Peckii does



Link to Photo   Venus Flytrap Jaws of Doom   YouTube
Image result for venus flytrap


Link to Photo   The Devil's tooth Hydnellum peckii fungus   YouTube

Image result for hydnellum peckii

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew!
    I think that it was helpful putting a picture connected to your blog post! But all I can think of is... eeeewwwwwwwahhhhh! I guess it's a combination of ew and me staring in awe at these unusual and fascinating plants to say the least!
    Goodbye and I wish you a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew!

    Great work with this activity, you have listed clearly your similarities and differences - they are also very informative facts about the plant! I feel like I learnt a lot. :)

    Do you know why the Hydnellum Peckii is nicknamed 'Devil's Tooth'?
    That's an interesting name to be given.

    I also can't believe it can be eaten ...based on its picture I can't decide if it would taste good or not?
    It kind of looks a little like a melted raspberry and cream lolly... then on the other hand it looks like a very strange fungi oozing who know's what!

    Would you give it a taste? What do you think it would be like?
    I think the fact that it smells bad maybe says it all aye... :)

    Awesome work Andrew!

    Nga mihi,
    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellee

    I read that it is not supposed to taste nice and I don't think I would try it. The red bumps remind me a bit of strawberry jam but I bet it doesn't taste like jam!

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.